Our juvenile justice system simply moves at a snail's pace. That's all there is to it. I'm so incredibly frustrated today. I had a court date today. I new nothing would be accomplished, really. It was simply a hearing to set the date for my the adjudication hearing. That hearing is not until July 13! In our county, juvenile court only takes place every other Wednesday. The 13th of July was the next open date on the court calendar. That freaking stinks. They were so quick to steal her from me, but they are so slow to allow me the chance to prove myself innocent. Our system is so backward!
So, what exactly is an adjudication hearing? To the best of my knowledge, it is like a trial, but in juvenile court. Both sides have the opportunity to present witnesses and both sides can cross examine the witnesses. I'll have a chance to get on the stand in my own defense. At the conclusion of the hearing, the judge makes a ruling. She can say one of four things.
1. DCFS was wrong to take my baby, and will return her immediately
2. DCFS was right to take her, but she has been gone long enough, and send her home that day.
3. DCFS was right to take her and give my caseworker discussion in returning her home.
4. DCFS was right to take her and set another date further down the road to send her home.
Let's hope and pray for option #1!!! At this point, I'd settle for option #2. If the judge chooses option -#1, I can use that ruling in my appeal to DCFS to have this erroneous accusation removed from my file, so that I can once again work with kids.
So, what's another 2 months??? Ugh.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone